Purchasing a laptop is a big decision! Before you decided to buy, you likely researched a number of options and reviewed the features and functionalities your favorite models had to offer. Now that you’ve made your purchase, don’t you want to protect it for years to come? Taking care of your laptop now can help you extend its lifespan and keep it performing for years to come. One common, but also preventable problem many laptop owners experience is overheating.
Signs of Overheating
Your laptop may be overheating if you experience any of the following.
- High temperatures
- Unusual sounds coming from your laptop’s fan
- Random shutdowns or reboots
- Pixelated lines on screen or screen changing colors
- Laptop struggles to perform basic tasks
- Mouse or keyboard may stop responding
How to Prevent Overheating
Although laptop technology has come a long way, today’s laptops are more compact than ever before. This means there’s less room for ventilation and cooling systems. To help keep your laptop cool and performing its best, try the following.
- Keep your laptop fans clean. Periodic cleaning can help you prevent damage later.
- Use your laptop on a hard, flat surface. Avoid using your laptop on your bed, couch or any other fabric surface. When you use on uneven and bumpy surfaces, you may significantly block the built-in ventilation.
- Elevate your laptop when using on a flat surface.
- Avoid using your laptop in hot rooms or summer heat.
- Purchase a laptop cooling system like the Steren Dual Fan Laptop Cooling System with Adjustable Angles.
Do you have additional questions about laptop maintenance? Give us a call at (405) 238-3334.